The New York Times is about to release its list of the best books of 2020, so I thought I’d beat it to the punch. Here’s my list of the best 14 books published this year (in no particular order):
- Redhead by the Side of the Road, a novel by Anne Tyler.
- The Lying Life of Adults, a novel by Elene Ferrante
- Miss Jane, a novel by Brad Watson
- The Nightwatchman, a novel by Louise Erdrich
- A Long Petal of the Sea, a novel by Isabel Allende
- Memorial, a novel by Houstonian Bryan Washington
- A Peculiar Kind of Immigrant’s Son, short stories by El Paso native Sergio Troncoso.
- The Undocumented Americans, by Karla Cornejo Villavicencio.
- His Very Best, a Jimmy Carter biography by Jonathan Alter
- In the Dream House, a memoir by Carmen Maria Machado
- Children of the Land, a memoir by poet Marcelo Hernandez Castillo
- On the Plain of Snakes, a travelogue of today’s Mexico by Paul Theroux
- Pelosi, biography by Molly Ball
- Mad at the World, a biography of John Steinbeck by William Souder